Wednesday, December 28, 2016

5 Months (154 Days)

I wouldn't say it was a tough decision, but maybe a necessary one.

I ate some "real" food.  On Christmas.  It wasn't much, just mashed potatoes, turnip, and squash (not really solid); but I knew if I kept this going, I would have eventually reached my pre-Crohn's diagnosis skin and bones body.

I had tried some soup a few times leading up to Christmas, and my body was very thankful.  I'm not sure if it was a physical response or mental celebration for something other than a smoothie, but I took it as my body telling me it was ready to reintroduce food into my life.

The weird thing is, after I ate on Christmas, I didn't really feel any better.  Still (like I hope I've been since July) the same Dave being Dave.  I've had some scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and french fries since Christmas, and again I didn't get the "Oh my God how did I go 154 days without you?" feeling.

Weird that I enjoyed the soup more than the food, or maybe that's my Crohnsy intestines telling me they prefer something in liquid form.

The other weird thing is that after eating these real foods, I've needed a nap.

So, I'm not sure how often or what form this eating will take in the future, but I'm getting ready to hit the road in February and want to be physically and mentally ready - guessing a more "regular" diet will help me get there, but I will see in the coming weeks how my body reacts to the transition, and if I decide to transition back to all liquid.

I, like many, would have bet that this strike didn't change the world, but to me it wasn't just about that.

It was about making a statement and doing something (instead of nothing) about the state of the world.  It was to show people that you can do whatever you put your mind to.  Food doesn't really (and shouldn't really) be a source of happiness - there are so many other ways to be happy that don't involve stuffing your face.  So many told me "I could never do that." - Well, if you think that, you are correct.

I know it's a cliche, but the "If you say you can or you say you can't, you are right." is so true.

I know I could have gone a full year with this, I chose not to for a few reasons.  And I'm not dismissing the future choice of going back on it.

Thanks for following, there will be more at some point...


No comments:

Post a Comment