Monday, August 1, 2016

One Week In

It has been a week since I ate any solid food, and the reactions I have received, for the most part, have been similar.

The first is usually asking me if I am serious, or "Are you really not eating?"

The second has been "You know World Peace is impossible, right?", or some variation of that, to which I respond, if that's what you think, then you are correct.  I believe it is, and if enough people believe it is, things will change.  Good or bad, things that we bring into reality start with ideas, and I think world peace is the best idea.

Some have asked me why I don't pick a "smaller" or "easier" thing to hunger strike for (such as gun violence in the US), but if you know me you know I'd rather take a stand against the biggest and baddest (see also: cancer).

Others have suggested organizations I might want to contact, such as The Elders that I wrote about before or this weekend the Peace Corps was mentioned to me.

It's been a little awkward at times (at work or with friends) this past week when people are all sitting down eating a meal and I don't join them, but I think that will lessen with time.

Regardless of reactions, my hunger strike has started conversations with family and friends that weren't there before and will challenge my conceptions of what I actually need to be happy and know I'm doing something to make a difference or shed light on an issue I feel passionate about.

I don't know how long I will keep this up or to what extent I will lessen my calorie intake, but I know this for sure: I love testing my limits and at the same time I will know when it is time to stop - my body will tell me, and I will listen (most likely when I can't play hockey anymore).

Thank you to my sister Carolyn and friend Gina who have helped with powders to make sure I'm getting enough protein!

No comments:

Post a Comment